Tuesday, December 23, 2008

See what I mean by flurry?


Recently I have been working on a series of rings mounting salvaged glass. This has been an ongoing project and was originally intended to be shown at the National Jewellery Showcase in 2007, but stress and time pressures led to meltdown at a critical moment in finishing the bezel - it was completely finished, along with 10 of its buddies. I came back to this earlier this year and finally got it together with the bezel making, no meltdowns, no holes in the solder and fitting the random shapes of the glass I was mounting. YEE-HA!!

This ring is one of two I have made so far from a window-washing accident in my old apartment building - the window washers knocked one of my neighbour's balcony glass with a handle and it shattered all over the street leaving some really cool shaped pieces - the glass is quite thick - about 8mm and has a green colouring to it. I have been selling these rings for $120NZD, well ok, you can tell that is a slight exaggeration - I have sold one!

The other ring I have made so far in this series is from a car crash - in the street behind my apartment building, someone drove into a printer's window and I managed to get a couple of pieces of the glass the council workers missed in their clean-up.


I really like this one - I have mounted it so that it is like an icicle - could be kind of dangerous, but it's not an everyday ring!!

No comments:

Post a Comment